Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Marine Drive

Ariel acrobats. The Naval Parade. Mumbai Marathon. The Marine Drive has enchanted Mumbaikars and tourists alike. Proudly flaunted as the Queens Necklace, innumerable people head towards it after a back-breaking day at work to enjoy the steaming sun sizzle off into the depths of the Arabian Sea.

The panoramic view of the Marine Drive has fascinated me as long as I can remember. Awaking each morning, rushing to college was worth every bit for the sheer pleasure of a blissful drive across the Drive. But my fascination ran me into trouble one morning. As I gazed into the depths of the sea and rolling clouds above it, I failed to pay heed to the signal turning amber in time.

Brakes screeched. Rubber burnt. Managed to get a dent on the bumper and a swollen ankle. The driver right ahead of me had found a vent for his morning blues. I received a sound socking from him, though only verbal. Once he paused for a breath, I deftly pointed out that his vehicle hadn't received any blemishes. Speechless, he turned and drove away as I turned once again to soak in the sweet murmur of the rising tide.

Numerous memories have been etched at the Marine Drive. But this one never fails to amuse me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...